One of my favourite unfavourite things is business cliche. That’s why I keep up my occasional Catechism of Cliche series.
Here’s another great addition, from the blog Murmurations, by Simon Heath.
- 80/20 rule – what you invoke to save yourself from reading the whole report
- Benchmarking – Desperately looking for something to support a business case
- Competitive advantage – A permanent formatting feature of any pitch document.
- Deep dive – What you’re told someone is going to do before they fail to set aside enough time
- Due Diligence – All the stuff you then ignore
- Going forward – Direction of travel for a business with regressive management practices
- Honest and open – The type of chat that results in a written note on your employee record
- Hot Desking – A practice whereby once a week you get to spend time with the IT helpdesk getting your wireless reconfigured and have a seat with a team from internal audit with a chinese wall so strict in place it makes Omerta look like your fabulously indiscreet Aunty Betty.