Are you like Sophie?
‘We have to start producing elearning but I’m not technical. I don’t go in for all that programming stuff. I want someone to build it for me – probably an IT specialist, maybe a programmer? Just don’t ask me techhie stuff.’
Or like Lawrence?
‘ Elearning? We’ve got the notes from the face to face course, and all the Powerpoint presentations. We can get a voiceover and use the slides. How hard can it be? Just do it!’
I'm sure you're not like either of them, but you've probably felt like that at times, or heard colleagues come up with those views.
Producing effective elearning isn’t all about lines of code and algorithms. Nor is it about sticking course notes on-screen.
The first shift to make is to move from ‘What do they need to know?’ to ‘What do they need to do differently?’
I can help you with that analysis. Even if you already have an in-house team or a supplier lined up, it can be helpful to have a fresh pair of eyes for the kickoff stage. Historic England certainly did (See the Case Study).
Having got the analysis, I can
- Review successive drafts as the project progresses (as I did for The Edge Picture Company)
- Script the course for you or your supplier to build (as I did for Coachwise and Goodpractice)
- Build it in Storyline or your preferred authoring tool (as I did for Aberlour and Sense Scotland)
What I don't do
I don’t advise on Learning Management Systems (LMS) or on the selection of authoring tools.
Also, I don’t take on large projects where I’d have to project manage other teams working on a lot of modules at once. I like to work fairly informally at a lower level.
There are lots of companies around who will do these better than I can, and I’ll put you in touch with them.
What would you like help with?
There's a lot of practical help on this site.
There are two complete series of posts here on scenarios:
- The Designing Predicaments Workbook is a free template for simple scenarios. This video series will help you get the best from it.
- The Branching Scenario Out Loud series shows how I built a more complex scenario, from needs analysis to final Storyline product.
If you'd like to talk about any of these issues let's schedule an informal chat! My charges are transparent - they're here.